The Communications Officer’ works to enhance content generated from teams across the Asia and the Pacific Region (AP), increasing awareness and visibility of International IDEA activities through online and media presence. The Communications Officer will gather information and drive content conceptualization to create and disseminate communications and promotional content around key issues, events and publications. The Communications Officer understands the politically sensitive environment in which International IDEA operates, is highly reactive when International IDEA faces criticism in the media and assists in coordinating responses across the relevant teams.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides communications and media support to the Asia and the Pacific team;
- Regularly holds communications meetings with Programme focal points to stay well-informed about planned activities, upcoming events and publications;
- Serves as a content editor. Writes and edits web articles, tweets, social media posts, press releases and other outreach content as necessary;
- Implements International IDEA’s social media strategy, for the regional programme, for all social media channels (Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook);
- Creates infographics and digital assets for use online and in presentations;
- Undertakes regular media monitoring;
- Advises on responses to media/press inquiries and pitches Op-Eds and stories to media for placement;
- Monitors impact and analytics and reports on results.
- Requires good knowledge, excellent skills and experience in the field of communication and media;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s Core Values: Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Director, Asia and the Pacific Region
- Excellent written and spoken communication and presentation skills;;
- Proven experience in preparing and writing material for social media channels and a range of traditional media and for the web;
- Proficiency in using Drupal, style sheets, Microsoft Office, Cision and Adobe tools (especially Photoshop) and multimedia software are assets;
- Knowledge of regional and Australian media and familiarity with mainstream and specialized media channels.
Education and Experience
- University degree in communications, journalism, international relations or a related subject;
- Minimum of three (3) years professional experience as a journalist or communications specialist in the Asia and the Pacific region, with a focus in social media and preferably in an international context;
- Experience and knowledge in copywriting, proofreading and editing;
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel, Canva and the Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn and MailChimp;
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, considered an advantage;
- Content production, photo and video-editing skills are desirable.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required; Knowledge of any other widely spoken language in the Asia and the Pacific Region would be an asset.
Terms of Contract:
- Local Post.
- Fixed-term appointment for one (1) year.
- Remuneration - AUD 6 552 gross per month
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to the relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those currently legally authorized to live and work in Australia.
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 23:59 (CEST), 31 January 2022. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.